To describe Technology is a really difficult task; however one can say that use of scientific understanding for concrete purposes might be one way to define it. It is impossible to think about the world without technology. It has many benefits if used with moderation and it will keep on progressing to make our life more opportune.
Imagine a day without television, phone, coffee machine or anything which involves digital footprints. It is really nearly impossible to stay away from technology because it is far and wide. We are in dire need of gadget detox and sooner the better.
There are pretty prominent sign that you need a digital detox. First thing in the morning is that you look for your phone, stay glued to your television, laptop, tablet etc. for the most part of your day. There are few things which will help you to successfully complete your day worthwhile without technology:
- A companion: It might not look important but once you have someone to give you that push, it really becomes a tad bit easy. Find a person to go for a detox with you, more the merrier. Friend, relatives, colleagues or anyone you feel comfortable with. The more human interaction which should be face to face is what we need to understand each other.
- Entertainment without glowing screen: It is understandable that it’s not easy to curb the need to look at your phone almost every two seconds for some reason or the other but it is very much possible. Plan for a day with family and keep your phones aside, indulge into human interaction more and more.
- Read a book: Not on your kindle or tablet but a real one made with paper. It is said that smell of a new book is very appealing and books take you to a different world.
- Get a watch: Yes it is an effective way to reduce your phone time. You need not look at your phone every time you want to know the time. Phones have replaced our watch, calculator, calendar and many more things.
- One step at a time: We are so consumed by electronic gadget usage that removing it completely is impossible. Let us take one step at a time and start with a short period of time one item at a time. Start with fifteen minutes or half an hour and do not use any electronic gadget for that time.
- Explore Nature’s Pandora box: It is easier said than done. In today’s lifestyle taking time out and relaxing in nature’s lap seems a distant dream. With commercialization happening everywhere it is really difficult to find a place with less or no electronic items. Well, there is will there is the way is a mantra we need to follow. If you do not remember when was the last time you visited a beautiful bird sanctuary or went out for a picnic without your phone then it is time to schedule something like this soon in the calendar.
It’s time to meet with people and have a proper face to face interaction, see the beautiful colors of a rainbow, birds, and flowers. Children should enjoy and learn to play cricket, basketball or sports on the ground, not on the computer or phone screens.
There was a time when children used to despise learning. Sitting in the classroom and listening to the teacher drone about something that happened a few million years ago was not fun to many. The school was considered a chore that one had to complete. Today, the situation is very different. Children look forward to going to school and working on different gadgets. Real time experience enables teachers to enlighten the children about general knowledge and the happenings of around the world. Technology is used to the point of abuse in various aspects of life. Education is just one of them.
There are different ways that the field of education utilizes technology to spread education.
Reflect and share
Sharing is more than toys and books. Sharing thoughts are an important aspect of learning. When children are made to pen down their thoughts and experiences in shared folders, they receive the opinions of other children. These comments are posted below the article and the author feels good about it. Reflecting and sharing makes a child more open minded and an extrovert by nature. Confidence is boosted.
Children no longer have to carry huge bags to school. All the material is given online and downloaded on a gadget that is no bigger than your average notebook. Children type assignments and mail it to the professor. Rewriting a project is simpler. Autocorrect helps a child avoid spelling and grammatical errors. It is more colorful on a fancy gadget than on an A4 sized sheet.
There is no syllabus. The world is your book. You can browse the internet with the help of your gadget and learn anything that you wish to know. There is no limit when it comes to knowledge. Technology has paved the way for learning in the most fun way possible. A web quest is introduced where children are made to come up with an entire book based on a topic or a character.
Children form their own clubs with the help of these gadgets in the school. They could be chess clubs or a mathematics group. These clubs are formed to create awareness of the importance of the subject of the group. It brings to the fore, children who are shy and unable to participate in public speaking events. Blogs are also part of this club.
Live to report and interviewing celebrities with the help of gadgets is a big hit. There are instant sharing and a lot of publicity. The concept is truly exciting and a lot of adventure and travel can take place with the help of this technique. Missed lectures are caught up on with the help of podcasts. There are podcasts available on the net that can supplement your learning as well.
There is literally no room for a technologically-challenged person. Ignorance is not an excuse. It is time to scale up and find out how things work. Old school methods do not work in this world of science and technology. Three-year-olds are able to play with tablets and chant rhymes looking at Talking Tom. Age is no bar when it comes to technology.
Transform learning – One gadget at a time.